The 'Pocket Monsters' phenomenon continues to grow with this summer seeing the UK release of POKÉMON - The First Movie.|
Pokémon (abbreviation for' Pocket Monsters') started life in Japan as a Nintendo game. The craze has grown rapidly, expanding to an Internet game, cartoon series and a trading card game.
POKÉMON - The First Movie follows Ash Ketchum and his furry friend Pikachu as they journey to a remote island for a showdown to determine who is the greatest Pokémon master of them all.
Unknown to them, misguided scientists have bio-engineered a sort of Frankenstein Pokémon from the DNA of a fossilised hair sample from the legendary Pokémon, Mew.
Mewtwo, a rogue Pokémon, is the result and now the stage is set for the ultimate battle. Mewtwo lures Ash and the other trainers to his lair and
reveals his plan to create a race of Super-Pokémon so he can take over the world.
Only one Pokémon can stop Mewtwo, and that is the rare and powerful Mew.
POKÉMON - The First Movie exploded in America, and is set to be this summer's box office hit.
The aim of the game
- There are two versions for the Gameboy, Pokémon Red and Pokémon Blue. Each version has 140 monsters, 10 are unique to set.
- Each Pokémon has its own special powers based on its connection with the elements - earth, wind, fire and water.
- To become a Pokémon Master you have to catch all of them.
- The trainer's goal is to increase his/her status through battles with other trainers, until the ultimate badge of honour is earned,
ie "The World's Greatest Pokémon Master".
- Trainers must exhibit manual dexterity, problem solving and strategy skills to win battles. Trainers also have to teach and care
for their Pokémon. Captured creatures can evolve and become more powerful.
- Check out the movie website on: www.pokemonthemovie.com
To infinity and beyond|
Woody, Buz Lightyear and co are back in Toy Story 2.
The sequel picks up from where the first film left off, but with the addition of new characters.
When Andy goes to camp, trouble soon erupts. Woody saves a fellow toy from a yardsale, but in the process he catches the eye of
Al McWhiggin, a toy collector.
Nasty Al kidnapps Woody and takes him back to his apartment where Woody discovers his past.
He is a highly valued collectible from a 1950s TV show, Woody’s Roundup.
Here the cowboy meets the other toys from the show - Jessie the Cowgirl, Bullseye the Horse and Stinky Pete the Prospector.
Back in Andy's room, Buzz and the rest of the toys prepare their rescue mission and set off to find their friend before Andy returns.
- The Children's Book Centre stocks a full range of Toy Story 2 books and merchandising.